In life, there are some questions that have existed through the ages. Why are we here? What is the meaning of life? While we can’t answer those questions, we can help you with one of the most frequently asked questions in the window coverings industry: Shutters or blinds? We hear this question a lot, and there truly is no wrong answer. What matters most are your personal preferences, your unique lifestyle, and what you want out of your window treatments. Once you investigate these elements, the decision usually takes care of itself.
Both shutters and blinds are excellent choices, but one option may be a better fit for your home than another. Let’s look at the advantages of each.
Beholding the Benefits of Blinds
Blinds come in a variety of shapes and styles, but generally speaking, these window coverings are made of long slats that can let more or less light in, depending on the way the slats are positioned. The slats can be either horizontal or vertical, and they can be made from any variety of materials, including wood, plastic, or metal. Sometimes, sheer fabric overlays are used to provide added privacy when blinds are open.
- Light Control. Some blinds provide more aesthetic appeal than complete privacy or light blockage. Because blinds aren’t typically designed such that the slats completely lock out space between them, light may be able to seep through the cracks. For people who are shopping for security or privacy reasons, these cracks of light may cause some concerns.
- Maintenance. Blinds have historically been known to be a bit difficult to clean. Their design leaves very little room between each individual blind, as they’re usually made of thinner materials that are bound together with a pull cord that’s used to adjust them.
- Cost. Because blinds can be made with any variety of materials, the range of cost varies greatly. If money isn’t the major factor in the decision, real wood blinds are beautiful window accessories that can really bring homeowners’ personalities into the rooms they adorn. On the other hand, if functionality is the focal point of the purchase, aluminum and vinyl blinds tend to be more affordable than wood, and they’re usually highly functional and quite durable.
Showcasing the Greatness of Shutters
Unlike blinds, which generally hang in one place over the windows and have slats that open and close, shutters are usually mostly solid coverings that swing open like doors. They can have ventilation slats, which can sometimes be opened and closed using a louver handle to let varying degrees of light into the room, but they’re characterized by the door-like opening and closing feature.
- Light Control. Shutters are designed to seamlessly block out unwanted light and provide ultimate privacy. Besides adding timeless architecture to the exterior look of homes, shutters can often enhance energy efficiency, as they add a layer of insulation to windows. As a bonus, shutters absorb sound, helping to reduce the annoyance of noise pollution.
- Maintenance. Shutters tend to be easier to clean than blinds because there’s more space between the slats. Homeowners with shutters also don’t have to worry about tangling, fraying, or snapping of cords, as these window coverings are cord-free.
- Cost. Shutters do tend to be more expensive than blinds; however, they’re also far more customizable, and they can last fifty years or more with proper care. Shutters are a long-term solution to light and privacy issues that are meant to withstand the tests of time. Shutters are also one of the few things that can increase the value of your home and it’s selling potential.
In the battle of blinds versus shutters, one window covering must come out a winner. If you’re still not sure, we’d love to help you decide. Whether you’re looking for shutters, shades, or window blinds in Utah, we’re here to help! Contact us for a free estimate, and let us show you how our in-home consultation beats the competition. We’ll handle everything from measuring to inspecting to installation, and when we’re done, you’ll be empowered with our unbeatable window covering warranty!